Attaining Nirvana.

The messenger.

To attain the cessation of Earthly life, that is to attain Nirvana, one has to cut all Earthly ties – attachments – because any ties bind one to the Earthly cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.

No bird can soar into the blue of the sky if there is a string tied to its leg and a stone on the ground.

About Ian Gardner

Ian Gardner was born on the 20th February 1934 in Sri Lanka, then Ceylon, and christened Basil Ian Gunewardene. He was born two months prematurely and nearly died five times in his first two months. He moved to Australia in September 1969 where he changed his surname to Gardner. From childhood, he had an enquiring mind and an innate interest in the supernatural. Since 1986, nineteen years of regular periods of meditation, "searching within", reading and revelations have culminated in this free book which has been nine years in the making. Further writings followed and all his writings are available to all on the Internet free of charge. There is more information in the preface of the book.
This entry was posted in The purpose of life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Attaining Nirvana.

1. Pingback: 2010 in review | The Journey up the mountain.

2. Parmaatma says:

MonaLisa,

I hope Ian replies to you.

You are better than I am.

I am unable to imagine the state of Nirvana.

By definition, a body with a soul is a corpse, a soul without a body is a ghost. Neither are any good without each other.

A soul without any body parts cannot sense anything or think and a lifeless body cannot operate.

If Nirvana is a state between being and non-being, what purpose does it serve?

I am very curious. 50% of the world’s population in the East and far East seem to know already or have at least heard of it enough to have a gut feeling.

Hope to find some answers in Ian’s books.

3. MonaLisa says:

This might sound like a foolish Question but I have to ask it anyway…!
    Why is it so important and necessary to try to attain Nirvana…?
    If everyone tries and succeed attaining Nirvana,then this world- The Creation of God
    How will that sustain…?!

• Ian Gardner says:

Hello MonaLisa and WELCOME!
      To find the answer to your question I recommend that you read The Milk Is White and, after that, The ‘Quo Vadis?’ File III. Seek and ye shalt find as the exhortation goes. I say this because a simplistic, or simple, answer would not answer your query.
      Happy hunting!
      Ian.

• MonaLisa says:

Thank you for welcoming me Ian…!
        I will try to find those books and read it. Yet I am quite curious to know your response in here if it’s not a hassle to you.

• Ian Gardner says:

Hello again, MonaLIsa!
          Here is the best site for reading the book and the File CLICK You will get a better read if you login at this site; it is free and there is no catch.
          Please do not think that I said what I did for the sake of MY convenience; far from it! There is no quick fix for things like this because to understand one thing a lot of other understanding is necessary so I would be doing you an injustice if I allowed you to take a short cut. I like to use the analogy that to pick out and eat bits of fruit from a fruit cake [not the human kind!!! 🙂 ] without eating the cake does not give one the experience of the texture, taste and sustenance of the whole cake – does this make sense?

4. Ian Gardner says:

Not having experienced this I cannot refute it but it seems to me that the brain – not the “mind” can trip up – and there is no drama in that! How old is your body?
    This is neither attachment nor non-attachment.
    There is no reason for being ashamed or feeling that you demonstrate ungratefulness. You will learn all this as you progress and, importantly, you will learn why.
    Any fear one has of Nirvana is simply due to ignorance.
    Here is a recent post of mine:
    Nirvana.
    Nirvana is the stillness between opposites. In this state one is neither happy nor unhappy; neither loving nor unloving; neither agitated nor calm; neither expectant nor non-expectant; neither passionate nor apathetic and so on!

5. Parmaatma says:

A very peculiar incident occured with me recently.

I received a call from an old friend. He wanted to give me his new telephone number.

I thanked him and began to save the number. After entering his first name, I pressed the space bar and the mind went blank. I could not remember his surname.

A very strange fear ran through me. I had spent 4 years from 1992 to 1996 with this friend. He taught me so many things. And I couldn’t even remember his surname.

I felt ashamed and ungrateful.

If this is non-attachment, am I wrong in fearing Nirvana?

Does this help you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s